> News > Local News > August 2013 > Tensas gunman was held by officials at airport
Bookmark this page!  
More Headlines


Tensas gunman was held by officials at airport
from Staff Reports - NEWS
August 15, 2013 -

KNOE-TV and The Associated Press contributed to this report

MONROE, La. (KNOE 8 News) - GMALM Producer Brandon Rodgers with KNOE-TV reports that new details are emerging about the dead gunman involved at the Tensas State Bank shooting.  

Louisiana State Police confirm that Fuaed Abdo Ahmed was detained at an airport for a short time and was released.  This comes after his trip from Yemen he took this summer.  
Police are still working with the FBI to determine what led Ahmed to take over the bank branch and shoot 2 people, killing one of them.  

Officials say they had a difficult time, negotiating with Amhed, because of his mental state , and used all their training to communicate with him.
Ahmed had been a student at LSU in Baton Rouge where he was studying accounting.  He was not currently enrolled in the school.  
He claimed on his facebook page that he was a member of the student government association at the school.  LSU has said that they have no record of that.  
The University of Louisiana at Monroe released a statement Wednesday clarifying that Ahmed had never been associated with the local university, eventhough his Facebook page claimed he was a student there.  
KNOE 8 News has reached out to the FBI regarding Ahmed and his airport incident.  We've received no comment at this time from the agency.

Tensas Parish Sheriff Rickey Jones says Ahmed was angry at his ex-girlfriend's family and believed they were responsible for a device in his head.

Jones says the 20-year-old left a list of demands in a van parked near the bank where he took hostages Tuesday.

Jones said the note listed a number of people who Ahmed thought contributed to his problems. Among those were his ex-girlfriend's family, whom he blamed for their breakup.

Jones said Ahmed wrote that he didn't want to be arrested or given mental health treatment. He wanted to leave the country.

Authorities say Ahmed shot two hostages, killing one, before state police ended the hours-long standoff Tuesday by shooting him to death.

What do you think about it?

Latest News | © 2014 | All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | EEO | Contact Us