ListenUpYall.com > News > Local News > March 2018 > Natchez alderman move forward to seek garbage pickup proposals
Bookmark this page!  
Latest News


Natchez alderman move forward to seek garbage pickup proposals
from Staff Reports - NEWS
March 14, 2018 - ListenUpYall.com

By John Mott Coffey

NATCHEZ, Miss. – City aldermen Tuesday approved the much-discussed details of what they want prospective trash haulers to propose as they seek the job of picking up Natchez residents’ garbage.

With the city’s request for proposals now being published, waste companies have until April 9 to submit their propositions for city officials to review. They will negotiate the final terms of a contract to be awarded to the best bidder in May.

Waste Pro has been picking up city residents’ trash since 2012, but the Board of Aldermen decided last year it wants to consider other haulers who might provider better service and costs.

Among the potential service changes discussed are a reduction to once-a-week pickup rather than the current two-a-week. Aldermen have also been reviewing options on how to revive the curbside collection of recyclable trash that was suspended in November to restrain costs. The board is also asking for proposals for hauling away yard rubbish and household hazardous waste on a more routine basis.

Weighing heavily in getting a new garbage-collection contract are the costs. City officials are trying to maintain the current $13.74-a-month rate each of Natchez’ 5,700 households now pay for trash pickup.

What garbage collectors propose next month will be cloaked in secrecy, said city attorney Bob Latham. “The contents of the proposals will be kept private,” he said. Details will not be made public until a final deal is made, he said, because of potential litigation.




ListenUpYall.com | © 2014 | All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | EEO | Contact Us