ListenUpYall.com > News > Local News > September 2017 > Natchez preparing to seek new garbage-collection service
Bookmark this page!  
Latest News


Natchez preparing to seek new garbage-collection service
from Staff Reports - NEWS
September 27, 2017 - ListenUpYall.com

By John Mott Coffey

NATCHEZ, Miss. – The Board of Aldermen is planning to seek bidders to be Natchez’ trash collector after five years of Waste Pro providing this service.

The board voted Tuesday to draft requests for proposals from companies wanting to pick up Natchez residents’ garbage. The contract with Waste Pro expires in December.

Mayor Darryl Grennell said he receives complaints about Waste Pro’s service. “We get calls to City Hall all the time. We have problems,” he said.

Waste Pro became Natchez’ trash collector in 2012. The Florida-based company replaced Waste Management, which had been hauling away Natchez’ trash for 30 years. Both companies, along with others, can submit bids for Natchez aldermen to consider as they decide which is the best and who should be awarded the new contract.

The city has been paying Waste Pro more than $900,000 a year to pick up garbage for city residents, who pay $13.74 a month per household for twice-a-week service. Waste Pro began in 2013 collecting recyclable trash, the first time Natchez has ever had this curbside pickup service for its 6,000 households. Waste Pro also provided each household one receptacle with wheels for general trash and one bin for recyclables.




ListenUpYall.com | © 2014 | All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | EEO | Contact Us